We all have the same opinion that toxins are bad for our health and it’s better to stay away from them whenever possible. But do you know how common toxins are in our lives and what they actually do to our bodies?
It is a naive thought that toxins only come from household cleaners or polluted air. In our daily lives, we are exposed to a multitude of toxins, including toxins in our homes, air, food, cosmetics, and personal care products. They can be found in the artificial sugar you put in your coffee, the candle you light at your desk, and the salad you eat for dinner. The amount of toxins that we are exposed to on a daily basis is staggering…almost unbelievable. A modest estimate is that we are exposed to more than 700,000 different toxins every day. These toxins contribute to our so-called “toxic substances” and can have serious effects on our health.
You may be surprised, but here are some of the effects that toxins can have on your body:
- Weight gain. Blood toxins affect the body’s ability to balance blood sugar and metabolize cholesterol. Synthetic toxins are also highly fat soluble, which means the body creates fat to store them instead of excreting them from the body. Not only can this cause weight gain, but working overtime can lead to diabetes.
- Breakthrough. If your body is excessively detoxified, your organs and systems can become overwhelmed. The liver and lymphatic system play an important role in filtering out toxins, but if they are clogged with toxins, the only way out is through the skin. This can lead to acne, eczema, or other rashes.
- Digestive problems. When your liver, lymphatic system, and large intestine don’t work in harmony, waste isn’t properly expelled from your body. Carrying a heavy load of toxins can lead to chronic problems like inflammation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and even Chrohn’s Disease.
- Hormonal imbalance. Toxins can be endocrine disruptors and remove hormones from your body. The hormones most commonly affected are estrogen, testosterone, thyroid, insulin, and cortisol. Hormone disruption can lead to health problems like fertility problems, early puberty, obesity, heart disease, and even breast and other cancers.
Start detoxing your home with our foaming hand soap. People will appreciate the pleasant scent and the fact that they are using a toxin-free soap.
So how can you reduce your malicious load? With a little clarity of mind, you can change your daily routine to minimize toxins entering your body. Here are some tips:
- Detoxify. Choosing a cleanse or detox program will help you quickly flush toxins out of your body, restoring health and balance.
- Increase your water consumption. While your liver and other organs help filter toxins, water can assist in flushing them out. Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder recommends starting your day with hot water and lemon, another easy and quick way to detox.
- Switch to organic mode. Chemical pesticides are heavily used in agricultural operations and residues can leach into the food you eat or in the ingredients used in your skin care products. Choosing the organic option will ensure that potential toxins aren’t lurking in your salad or moisturizer.
- Aerobic exercise. Getting your heart rate moving, legs moving, and lungs inhaling and exhaling at a healthy rate are all benefits of exercise. Activities such as walking, running, yoga, cycling and climbing are all beneficial to the circulatory system and help to effectively flush toxins out of the body.
- Avoid products made with Phthalates and BPA. Phthalates are made up of eight hormone-mimicking chemicals. They are used to make plastics softer (like bathroom curtains) or the fragrance in candles or personal care products to last longer. Bisphenol A (BPA) is an industrial chemical used to make plastics hard and shiny. Both mimic hormones and can feminize young children and cause cancer later in life.
- Introduce nutrient-rich foods into your diet. Think kale, broccoli, spinach, blueberries, and almonds instead of processed, fried, or foods made with artificial flavors and colors. These foods provide the body with vitamins and minerals that help improve health, increase energy and keep weight at a healthy level. A great way to introduce these foods is with a daily green smoothie.
Our bodies have to fight a large toxic burden, so it’s important to minimize your exposure when possible. Origin of Sally B’s Skin Yummies from this idea. Creating cruelty-free products made from organic ingredients is how we help you and us live a clean lifestyle. Instead of the toxic choices commonly found in the beauty aisle, you can rest assured that the products from Sally B’s are benefiting your skin and health.