This message was sent to the School community via email on August 9, 2021.
As we prepare for the start of the new school year and continue to bring more staff back to campus workspaces, the University of Rochester is reinstating face covering requirements for all on campus homes and financial resources. property of the School, regardless of immunization status. . This requirement is in effect Tuesday, August 10 until further notice.
The university is taking this action due to the emergence of Delta variant COVID-19 cases in the Rochester area, and is consistent with updated Monroe County and CDC recommendations for wearing masks indoors. It is intended as a temporary safety measure until the rate of COVID transmission has decreased sufficiently in Monroe County, and as the number of COVID-19 cases remains low at the College; visit the School’s COVID-19 Dashboard for updates on confirmed cases across all School properties.
All students, faculty, staff, guests, and tenants — including those who are fully immunized — are required to wear a mask while indoors on any campus and on University property. At the Medical Center, policies and guidelines for the “blue area” (patient care area) have so far remained unchanged. For more specifics on the Medical Center campus mask requirement, see COVID-19 / Redesigned Intranet Portal (URMC proof required).
This University-wide face covering mandate differs from the policies adopted during the previous academic year in that it is not currently part of this requirement. As part of the current quest:
- Students, faculty, and fully vaccinated staff are left alone and not in public or shared spaces that may be exposed.
- Any face-to-face meetings or group activities in boardrooms or other indoor spaces must be conducted with everyone wearing a mask — regardless of immunization status.
- In the classroom, fully immunized instructors are able to maintain a distance greater than 6 feet from all class participants who may be unmasked during instruction; Class attendees should still wear a mask and instructors should wear a mask when completing classroom instruction.
- When eating at Rochester Dining venues or other common or public spaces on campus, everyone should wear a mask until the start of a snack or meal, remove the mask to eat, and then wear it. Wear a mask when you’re done eating.
- In student living spaces on campus, students may be exposed in their rooms to roommate(s) or “family units” (family units as defined in FAQs). meet). All other times, students should be wearing a mask.
- Outdoors, all unvaccinated people should wear masks on campus when physical distancing is not possible.
- Masks continue to be required for everyone on University shuttles.
- More detailed instructions will appear and are available on FAQs about classes, performances, and practices in music and other performing arts, as well as athletics.
Disposable face masks will be available at multiple locations around the College facilities. Students returning to Rochester for the semester are encouraged to bring a few reusable masks to use, and all freshmen and incoming students will be provided with a face covering. University of Rochester.
The University Coronavirus Restart (CURT) Team and senior leadership continue to actively monitor pandemic conditions and will take measures to help protect the health and well-being of all members. members of the School community. Further announcements will be made when this indoor mask duty can be lifted.
Once again, thank you for your contribution to the health and safety of our community.
Sarah C. Mangelsdorf
President and G. Robert Witmer, Jr. University Professor.
Mark B. Taubman
Executive Director, University of Rochester Medical Center and Dean, School of Medicine and Dentistry
Sarah E. Peyre
Vice President and Director of Human Resources